Learn to sail in Greece
Sail the heart of the Ionian from our base in historic Lefkas. With sailing schools, yacht charter and flotilla holidays all embarking from our Lefkas base, your bespoke sailing holiday is just a stone's throw away.
Learn to sail or hone your skills in the calm conditions and easy line-of-sight navigation of the Ionian Islands. Whether you're completly new to sailing or want to earn your RYA Day Skipper qualification and start notching up those nautical miles, our Ionian Islands sailing school has something to offer all levels.
April and November
May and October
|Beginner||RYA Competent Crew||£518||£616||£693|
|Intermediate||RYA Day Skipper||£518||£616||£693|
|Some experience needed||Flotilla Hero||**||**||**|
*Prices above are per person based on two people sharing the cabin. For single occupancy prices please talk to our Holiday Planners.
**For availability and Flotilla Hero course price please talk to our Holiday Planners.
What to bring
- Tickets, money, passport and driving licence if you plan to hire a car.
- Clothing: Greece enjoys a pleasant temperature all year, however May, June, September and October evenings can be cool, so a fleece and long trousers are recommended. Bring some light wet weather gear with you just in case.
- Please remember to bring photo ID and two passport size photos with you if you are taking the ICC or Day Skipper course (and above) so that certificates can be issued.
- Warm weather gear: a hat, a good pair of sunglasses, sun cream, shorts, T-shirts, beach towel and swimwear.
- Cool weather gear: gloves, comfortable trousers or tracksuit, deck shoes, sailing boots or white-soled trainers. We do not recommend jeans as they take a long time to dry.
- Please note: all personal items are brought at your own risk.
RYA Day Skipper practical and RYA Comptent Crew
Candidates are encouraged to read the RYA practical and/or theory course books. These can be purchased in advance from our UK office or online. Day Skipper candidates are strongly encouraged to complete the Day Skipper theory course prior to arrival for their practical assessment. Day Skipper theory courses can be taken at our Port Solent, UK school or online.
Successful completion of this course in the BVI will provide you with RYA Competent Crew or Day Skipper (non-tidal) qualification. For the Day Skipper course candidates should bring two passport photos for certification paperwork.
- The local currency is the euro.
- Money can be changed at reception, or there is an ATM nearby. Some destinations may not have ATM facilities. Before departure your skipper will advise where ATMs are available.
- You will be sleeping on board in shared cabins.
- Duvet, sheets, pillow and a shower towel are all provided.
- Please note: bring your things in a soft holdall as there is little storage on board the yacht.
Log book for RYA courses
You will need RYA log book G15 for your course. If you have not already ordered a log book you can purchase one from our office. If you ordered one when you made your booking it will be sent out to you.
Recommended reading for RYA courses
RYA practical and/or theory course books. These can be purchased in advance direct from the aftersales team at the Sunsail Port Solent Office or the RYA.
Flights and transfers
If you have booked your course taking Sunsail flights, you will be met at the airport by a member of staff and transferred to Lefkas by coach with other Sunsail guests.
If you have arranged your own flights, on arrival at the airport you will find a taxi rank, or we can book your transfer at the base for you.
Yacht course itinerary
Embarkation, course start Sunday 6pm
Welcome meeting Monday 9am
Course finish Friday 5pm
Disembarkation Sunday 10am
On arrival at our Lefkas base you will be introduced to your skipper, who will get you settled on board your yacht and give a basic introductory briefing. After stowing your luggage, you have the rest of the day to yourself and can meet the other members of the crew.
If there’s anything you’d like to know about your boat or any available facilities please ask your skipper or a member of the Sunsail team. However, a full yacht and safety briefing will be given on Monday morning at the start of your course.
Monday welcome meeting
This is a good opportunity to meet the other course members. Your Sunsail skipper will give a brief for the week, covering course content and the sailing itinerary.
Monday to Friday
Each day starts at approx 9am and finishes at approximately 6pm One day will be extended to allow four hours of night sailing. Your yacht is already provisioned for the five-day course, including breakfast and lunch on board. There's free time in the evening when the crew can dine ashore wherever they wish. During the week you will visit various ports and marinas.
Your course ends back at the base, where you can enjoy a drink or sample local cuisine watching the sunset over the bay.
This is a great day to explore Lefkas Island. Hire a car or use the local bus route. The west of the island has some stunning beaches, and if you ask at reception we can recommend our favourites.
Please vacate your cabin by 9.30am.
- Breakfast and lunch are provided on board together with one evening meal. You are welcome to purchase any extra nibbles you may require, but there are a number of restaurants to dine at every night.
- We do not specifically cater for vegetarian or other dietary needs, but please inform us at the time of your booking or call a member of our aftersales team and we'll endeavour to do so.
- Evening meals are at your own expense. Your skipper can recommend good restaurants at each overnight stop.
- Please note: you will be expected to help with the cooking, washing up and general housekeeping of the yacht.
Mooring fees are not included in the course fees. However, at most destinations there are little (if any) costs. Cost incurred for berthing will be spilt between the crew.
Children on courses
Children aged 13+. Sunsail welcomes your older children on any of our courses at any time of year, provided they are accompanied by at least one adult. Under 16s can qualify as comp crew, over 16s can become Day Skipper qualified.
Places to visit and activity options
Car hire is available from Lefkas Town, so don’t forget your driving licence
Sunsail remains committed to protecting the environment and supporting local cultures in our sailing areas. Over many years our clients have helped us to ensure that our presence does not negatively impact these areas. Please continue to help us leave these areas as good as or better than we found them.
We have photographers on site at our bases throughout the season, and you'll be informed if one is present upon arrival at your base. If you have strong objections to close-up photography of yourself and your party, please indicate your feelings to the photographer at the time.
Sunsail schools sales office opening hours
The office is open all year:
Monday-Friday from 8am-7pm
Saturday from 9am-7pm
Sunday and Bank Holidays from 10am-5pm
Reservations 023 9222 2224
After Sales 023 9222 2894
East Shore Lefkada
Tel: +30 26450 29622
Fax: +30 26450 29622